Friday, October 10, 2008

Life on Mars looks intriguing...

...the show, that is, not actually living on Mars. Until they get televisions up there, I imagine it would suck.

Anyway, it's based on a UK show of the same name, about a present-day cop who gets hit by a car and wakes up as a cop in 1973. He doesn't know if he actually traveled back in time, if he's insane, or if everything's just a figment of his comatose mind.

Some thoughts (and bear with me, as I continue to watch these shows under the influence of this massive head cold, and so my thought processes are a little muddled):

- I think I may have a thing for period-piece television (see also Mad Men).

- Jason O'Mara from Life on Mars and Matthew Rhys from Brothers and Sisters talk and look exactly the same - they could be brothers (and interestingly enough, they're both Brits playing Americans (well, O'Mara is Irish and Rhys is Welsh)...I love Rhys, he's my favorite on B&S, so I hope I end up loving O'Mara as well...)

- Am fascinated by the whole is it real/is it all in my head concept. So far, it could go either way...or could it end up being both? (Yes, I've read the summary for the British version, so I know how that ends, and I am still intrigued, though even though this pilot was basically an exact remake of the UK version, who's to say the US version won't go in a different direction)

- due to circumstances in my own life, I hate when a story involves a character being hit by a car, especially if it is used for comedic effect and if there are no serious or lasting repercussions. At least on this show, so far, that does not seem to be true.

- Michael Imperioli is almost unrecognizable in his 70s get-up. It's unbelievable how easy it is to make an attractive man unattractive...

Verdict: I will continue to watch. Like I said, the concept intrigues me. The historical setting intrigues me, so even though it just adds another show to my Thursday night television glut, I will continue to watch. Even if only for Michael Imperioli's mustache.



-

No comments:

Post a Comment