Monday, October 6, 2008

Let's just take a moment to rave about Michael Cera

It remains to be seen whether or not "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" will become another sleeper hit like "Superbad" and "Juno," but it's already another critical darling and just the latest step in Michael Cera's road to superstardom...

I know this is a blog about television and that first paragraph was all about movies, but before Cera was making a name for himself on the big screen, he was playing one of my favorite characters ever on one of my favorite television shows ever, Arrested Development. His George-Michael was so awkward and so earnest and so sincere with just absolute spot-on delivery, timing, and facial expressions, that I just wanted to eat him up. Or adopt him. At the very least, I wanted to buy him new clothes. So in honor of Ceraseeming to be the nice, real guy that I get the impression that he is and being someone who seems to deserve all the success he is having, here are some of my favorite George-Michael Bluth quotes:

Michael (talking about possible names for a housing development): What do you think of when you hear the name, "Sudden Valley"?
George Michael Bluth: Salad dressing. But I don't want to eat it.
Michael: What about, "Paradise Gardens"?
George Michael Bluth: Yeah... that's better. I can see myself marinating a chicken in that.

Michael Bluth: What have we always said is the most important thing?
George Michael Bluth: Breakfast
Michael Bluth: Family
George Michael Bluth: Oh, right. Family. I thought you meant of the things you eat.

Michael: Well, I’ll tell you what: I’m going to give you a promotion. Welcome aboard, Mr. Manager.
George Michael: Wow. I’m Mr. Manager.
Michael: Well, manager; we just say “manager.” And you can hire an employee if you need one.
George Michael: Do you think I need one?
Michael: Don’t look at me, Mr. Manager.
George Michael: Right, it’s up to me now. I’m Mr. Manager.
Michael: Manager. We-we just say, uh...
George Michael: I know, but you...
Michael: Doesn’t matter who.

Michael: Your Uncle Gob seems to think that he saw you down at the docks today. Was that you?
George Michael: No. No. Maybe it was the other George Michael. You know, the singer-songwriter.
Michael: Yeah, that makes sense.

George Michael: But it wasn’t for me.
Michael: Then who was it for? Who? Give me a name.
George Michael: Okay, it was for me. Yeah. I was gonna smoke the marijuana like a cigarette.

I could go on and on. But I won't...

No comments:

Post a Comment