Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Is Fringe being pushed to the fringe?

We all know I watch a lot of television. Too much, some might say. Like psychologists and teachers. Parents, too. Probably a few tv critics as well...

The point is, as it gets deeper into the television season, inevitably there are shows I stop watching. Either I don't have the time for them or they stop piquing my interest.

Fringe might be becoming one of those shows.

Before the start of the season, Fringe was one of the most anticipated and hyped new series and I really, really wanted to like it. In fact, I really did enjoy the pilot episode. I liked the premise. I love Joshua Jackson.

But I missed one episode one week and found...I didn't miss it. I haven't watched last night's episode yet and even though I could watch it on my computer or on my dvr...I haven't.

I think the problem with Fringe, for me, is that it's all about the story, which is fine. Lots of shows do that. The characters are just props to convey the story. It's more of a procedural in that regard than I first realized. One franchise in particular, Law and Order, does this. And I don't watch that show. And I don't like that show.

I guess I'm discovering that I like characters. I want three dimensional characters. I want complicated characters with complicated relationships and complicated histories. My favorite part about Fringe is the relationship between Peter Bishop and his father, Walter. It's fraught with dysfunction and it makes me want to know more about them and it makes me feel for them.

So that's that. I'm still following recaps of the show and I guess when my tv schedule slows down over the weekend, I might check back in, but since most experts and even kindergarteners would probably agree that I need to be watching less tv and not more, well, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment