Friday, September 2, 2011

True Blood: Are we there yet?

I feel like this season is dragging on and rushing along, all at the same time.

I LOVED the first season of True Blood, in spite of the usually crappy make-up jobs on the actors. I thought the story was interesting and well written. Unfortunately, it's all kind of gone downhill from there. I hear a lot of people complaining because the show has really started to diverge from the direction the book series took and Alan Ball definitely seems to have a different vision of the True Blood 'verse than Charlaine Harris does, but I've only read one book, so that doesn't bother me so much - plus, television is a completely different medium than books and so requires a different storytelling technique and therefore sometimes a change in story.

Anyway, I've already mentioned the whole down-with-faeries attitude I have, so maybe that's part of it, but I just feel like on the one hand, this season of True Blood is wandering dangerously close to the territory Big Love unfortunately landed in, where because of the limited episode run, storylines were brought up, rushed through, resolved in one episode, or dropped altogether. I mean, c'mon writers - a little drama and suspense never killed anyone. At the same time, I feel like there are whole storylines, boring, unneccesary ones like Arlene's baby and Tommy the skinwalking brother that have just sucked up so much time in this limited episode run. It's called pacing people. And self-editing.

I guess I get frustrated because I can see glimmers of good story and good characters in this show and I hate to see them get mangled or lost so badly. Really now I'm just waiting for this season to end so I can borrow my sister's DVDs and rewatch the first season all over again.




Do Bad Things. Shop True Blood at the HBO Store

No comments:

Post a Comment