Friday, September 2, 2011

Some of my noteworthy fellow alums you can see on "the tube"

And I don't mean the London Underground.

So, I'm proud of the schools I graduated from, but sometimes people will ask me where I went to college, and I'll reply, "The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C.," and they'll shrug and go, "Whatever. Never heard of it. I think you're making that up."

Sigh.

So, as my 10-year reunion from a very real college quickly approaches this fall, here are a few notable alums who have made a name for themselves on tv. I've never met any of them, but I did used to stalk their yearbook photos when I worked for my college newspaper. And just for the record, we're going to limit this "notables" post to only actors/writers, and only those who have done television...

Ed McMahon
Ed McMahon, known primarily for his work with Johnny Carson on "The Tonight Show."









John Carroll Lynch






John Carroll Lynch - for me, he will always be the husband from "Fargo" whose duck picture got picked to be on a stamp, but you might also know him from recurring guest roles on "The Drew Carey Show," "Carnivale," "Big Love," and "Body of Proof," which is still on the air but which I have never watched.

Susan Sarandon






Susan Sarandon has done mostly movie work, but she did a guest stint as a fading soap star on "Friends," and also had recurring guest spots on both "Malcolm in the Middle" and "Rescue Me."

John Slattery










John Slattery has become much more of a household name as Roger Stirling, that ole' tom-catting, silver-haired fox on one of my all time favorite shows, "Mad Men," but some part of him will always be the creepy politician boyfriend who asked Carrie to pee on him in "Sex & the City."


Jon Voight







Jon Voight is another actor who is better known for his movie roles...and also for his estrangement from arguably more famous daughter Angelina Jolie, but he's done several tv movies, which I won't name since I don't watch made-for-tv-movies, as well as recurring guest roles on several tv shows, such as "Gunsmoke" in the 1960s and more recently, "24."


Audrey Wasilewski






Now, I only just discovered today that Audrey Wasilewski graduated from CUA - you really DO learn something new every day! Audrey is one of those character actresses who is never the star but who is in EVERYTHING and who you see EVERYWHERE. She played a French-Canadian maid in one episode of one of my all time favorite shows, "Wonderfalls," which you should all watch on DVD IMMEDIATELY, but you may know her from some of the same shows as fellow alums John Carroll Lynch (she played neighbor Pam on "Big Love") and John Slattery (she plays Peggy's disapproving older sister Anita).


Siobhan Fallon
 Siobhan Fallon has done various guest spots, but most people will remember her from her time on "Saturday Night Live."

Alfred Gough














This next guy you might not recognize just by looking at him, because he's not an actor, but Alfred Gough is, more importantly and more fittingly for me, a television writer. You might know him as one of the co-creators and executive producers of the once awesome, recently departed "Smallville."


Brian Williams






Last but not least, let's mention Brian Williams, anchor of "NBC Nightly News." He attended Catholic University but left before graduating. Still, he's a fairly familiar television presence, especially to those of you who, unlike myself, watch the news. Also, he has surprisingly great comedic timing and is always funny whether he's hosting "Saturday Night Live" or doing a guest spot on "30 Rock." And my college roommate used to have a crush on him when we were in school, so she might kill me if I don't include him... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment