Friday, September 23, 2011

Some reasons why Thursday night television is awesome...

So, I haven't even finished watching all my Thursday night shows, THAT'S how awesome Thursday night television is, BUT...let's break down what we did watch...

Community...sometimes veers tooooo much into the absurd. But my brother was very psyched to see Omar from The Wire (who? I know, a tv-phile who has never seen The Wire!!!) and I think this premiere veered into the absurd to loop it on back into a bit of reality. Greendale is a weird place. You never know what's going to happen. As lovers of Britcoms, though, my bro and I both cracked up at Abed's reaction to the end of the 6-episode run of Cougarton Abbey...hopefully his new love (based on a show the bro and I agree we just do NOT get at all) will continue for a million, trillion years, like its Doctor Who counterpart has....

Parks and Recreation premiered exactly as I thought it would...sweet, quirky, touching, funny. I do a lot of genealogy work, and a lot of that work involves researching and discovering the world in which your ancestors lived. Well, P & R, like I've said before, is not just our characters - it has become a fully developed world in which they live. And our main characters - they don't always do the right thing or make the right choices, but they are fundamentally good people, which is not something you can say about a lot of characters on tv today...I just rewatched the first season of P & R, so watch for a post on that soon, but the thing is, it wasn't sappy when Ben broke up with Leslie....it was exactly what Ben would do. It almost makes me want to live in one of those fly-over states...and Ron Swanson? Rocks. Hard. His and Leslie's pseudo-bromance, their completely platonic respect for and understanding of each other, has become one of my favorite parts of this show...
The Office was almost like watching a new show. Yes, Steve Carell left before the end of the season last season but they were sort of treading water till summer...now, they have direction, and because of that, it's almost like watching a new show. Am I surprised Andy got promoted to regional manager? Yes. But when I think about it, he was the most ridiculous guy in the office besides Michael Scott. He's the most bumbling, eager-to-please in that place. He's got a funny, funky relationship with Darryl, which I adore (Darryl for regional manager! That was my vote!!!), a somewhat respectful yet highly competitive relationship with Dwight...he really stepped up in the end standing up for his co-workers. I can see this playing out in some funny scenarios. Plus, he ditched the pink pants. But thank god he held on to the pink tie...

And last but not least....The Vampire Diaries!!! First, and I meant to write this last week but I got deathly ill, the girls on this show are too thin. They've always been too skinny, but it's beyond noticeable now...if Nina Dobrev loses any more weight, I will boycott this show...I will!!

So...they actually went with bad-ass Stefan. Not surprised. This show has never shied away from storylines that might initially upset the fans, which in my humble opinion, is what keeps it so fresh and clever...although we've learned that everyone Stefan has killed is a werewolf, mortal enemy to vampires. So, not quite so badass. Bonnie has yet to make an actual entrance...I like how they're incorporating Matt more into a main storyline. He got totally lost last year. And this show could go to shite and I would still watch cuz of Steven R. McQueen. Cougar much? Uh, yeah.....

Good to see Alaric re-embracing his vampire slaying roots. That's what made him totally badass to begin with and they're definitely gonna need those skills now. Also, good to see him, like Matt, being incorporated more into the main storyline. His and Damon's bromance and unlikely but funny alliance is one of my favorite parts of THIS show... I feel like Klaus should know by now that he did NOT in fact kill the doppelganger...TVD may be a teen show, but it does NOT treat the viewers as stupid, which is awesome. At 32, it makes me feel less dumb for watching it...

But really, TVD and CW, let the actresses eat. I WILL boycott.
Did I mention before? Best. TV night. Ever!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment