Monday, September 12, 2011

2011-2012 TV season: What to keep an eye out for this week!

The 2011-2012 television season is upon us, folks - let's take a moment of silence to thank the TV gods. It's been a long summer.

While some shows started last week and many more will start next week, this week we have a few old favorites returning and newbies to check out. Here are the ones on my schedule (and since I've been watching a lot of Britcoms on Hulu.com in the interim, yes, I am pronouncing that with a "sh" sound in my head!) ...be forewarned, if you consider episode descriptions to be spoilers and you don't want to be spoiled, stop reading now!:

Tuesday, Sept. 13: On the CW at 9 p.m. we have the new Sarah Michelle Gellar vehicle, Ringer. The TV Guide description reads: "In the series premiere, ex-stripper Bridget (Sarah Michelle Gellar), a recovering addict slated to testify in a murder trial, flees protective custody and reunites with her wealthy identical twin Siobhan, who soon disappears while on a boating excursion. In a desperate effort to avoid the feds and mobsters now hunting her, Bridget passes herself off as Siobhan, but as she soon learns, the new pose hasn't made her any safer: someone is apparently targeting Siobhan for elimination."

I don't usually do dramas, and while I love some CW shows there are others that I can't help but roll my eyes at - too soapy and I guess I've just finally outgrown the teen angst. But I've missed Buffy on my tv and the premise sounds slightly intriguing, so I'm going to at least check out the pilot.

Wednesday, Sept. 14: At 10 p.m. on NBC we have the new show, Up All Night, starring Christina Applegate, Will Arnett, and Maya Rudolph. Description: "New mom Reagan Brinkley (Christina Applegate) returns to work while her husband, Chris (Will Arnett), takes on the role of stay-at-home dad in the premiere of this comedy series about learning the ropes of parenting. Reagan's zany boss, Ava (Maya Rudolph), meanwhile, doesn't quite acknowledge the changes in Reagan as she welcomes her back to the office."

This show has gotten terrible reviews so far, which doesn't mean it won't do well or that it can't improve. All I know is that I LOVE Applegate, Arnett, and Rudolph and am thinking this show can't be worse than Arnett's last outing, Running Wilde, so I will be giving it a chance. At least for one episode.

Thursday, Sept. 15: Ohmygodohmygodohmygod! At 8 p.m. on the CW we have my Favorite Drama returning, The Vampire Diaries. If you've never seen this show, watch it. Like, now. Rent the DVDs, watch it online, set your DVR because this is one of the best-paced, tightly written, compelling shows on television. Don't let the vampires and high school setting fool you. The premiere description reads: "The third season begins with Elena and Damon searching for Stefan, who is with Klaus tracking a werewolf. Meanwhile, Caroline plans a party for Elena's 18th birthday, and Jeremy sees the ghosts of his late sister, Vicki, and his former girlfriend, Anna." (The description is actually wrong - both Vicki and Anna are late flames of Jeremy's).



Which leads us to the new show at 9 p.m., The Secret Circle. This series is, like The Vampire Diaries, based on an L.J. Smith book series - lesser known to many people but equally as beloved to this reader and TV viewer here. I am just as apprehensive, if not more so, about this show's premiere as I was for TVD - with TVD, because it was based on one of my favorite book series growing up, I wanted the show to do well. Now that it has, I'm afraid that The Secret Circle won't be able to capture that same spark, that it will be a cheesy, boring, poorly acted, badly written adaptation. I want it to be as successful as TVD, but I feel like TVD captured lightning in a bottle and The Secret Circle won't be as lucky. Still, I will be checking it out. Description: "In the series opener, teen Cassie Blake (Britt Robertson) moves to a seaside Washington town, where she learns she is a witch and meets a circle of friends who inform her they are also witches. "

And last but not least, at 10 p.m. on FX, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia finally returns aftering being off the air since last December. Description: "Frank wants to marry a prostitute and the gang can't talk him out of it. While Dee sets out to burnish the hooker's heart of gold, Charlie takes a different tack: He tries to set Frank up with another woman. Meanwhile, Mac has put on a lot of weight. "I'm cultivating mass," he tells Dennis. " I have no words. Oh wait, yes I do - I can't wait! :)

Try Hulu Plus™ - Get 1-week FREE




Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment