Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New show review: New Girl

Okay, so the new show "New Girl" is available to watch on Hulu ahead of its Sept. 20 premiere. This was one of the shows on my check-out list, but I'm going into this with almost no information - I know that Zooey Deschanel plays a newly single girl who moves in with three dudes, and that every review I've read has either liked or disliked the show based solely on whether the reviewer likes or dislikes Zooey Deschanel. So, let's get started!

So first off, my opinion of Zooey Deschanel....do not hate her, thinks she talks a little weird, but am also not aboard the Zooey Love Train. So, I'm probably a good, unbiased person to give this show a go. Aaaaaaand....go!

Oh my God, that theme song has to go. I don't care that it's supposed to be a theme song for herself that the character made up cuz she's a little weird. No, just...no.

But oh yay - Max Greenfield! Oh, I have loved this guy ever since he was Officer Leo on the dearly departed and sorely missed Veronica Mars. Aaaand...Damon Wayans Jr.? He's been growing on me lately, but isn't he already on the show Happy Endings, which got picked up for a second season? I'm confused...

Ok, I laughed...I like that they're incorporating her singing as a dorky quirk of hers and I like that her character is, well, geeky and dorky. And that the guys aren't falling all over her. And that's she's weird. I think the guys have good chemistry together, and Wayans and Greenfield are both cracking me up. Zooey's playing up the quirk a little too much for my taste, but overall, I liked it. Pilots are tricky. They have to set up in - in this case - half an hour what the entire series is going to be about. Sometimes that changes along the way, but the pilot has to introduce a storyline and characters and so it can be rushed and exposition-y, so I actually feel that a second episode can give you a better feel of whether or not you're going to like a series, but let's just say that based on this pilot, I'm going to give that second episode a shot...

Hooked? You can check out "New Girl" Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on Fox starting Sept. 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment