Friday, September 11, 2009

This vampire groupie talks about The Vampire Diaries

Ok, so this is where my inner geek is going to shine through as I wax poetic about a new show on The CW, The Vampire Diaries.

Is it great art, like Mad Men? No.
Is it comedic genius, like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Hardly.
Is it just another Twilight clone, jumping on the hugely popular vampire bandwagon? Not even.

The Vampire Diaries is based on a series of books that came out in the early 1990s and which I devoured over and over again when I was in junior high, so really, you could make a better argument that the books started the current vampire trend than you could that the show is following it. Anyway, when I found out last spring that they were turning the books into a tv show, I think I literally squealed with excitement. There has been a serious vampire void in my life since first Buffy and then Angel went off the air. I don't watch True Blood, I'm not sure why not, and both Twilight the book and the movie just didn't cut it.

So, did the premiere last night cut it?

I think I'm hooked. Some characters and storylines have been tweaked, but the important parts are pretty faithful to the books. It wasn't corny or cheesy, which I was worried about, the music was good, the acting pretty decent, and most importantly, Stefan and Damon, the vampire brothers who were two of my first literary crushes, as portrayed by Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder respectively, look and act exactly as I pictured them.

All in all, I'm very excited about this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment