Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Must watch (eventually) shows: Castle

There are so many shows on television that even when you filter out all the crap, there are still too many to ever watch, even with DVRs and episodes posted on the Internet. The fact that most networks have jumped on the Internet-posting bandwagon is a great joy for me because even though it may take me weeks or even months, as opposed to hours or days, it allows me to watch series, and quality series at that, that I might otherwise be forced to completely miss.

This is my method for the shows that don't make the "must" list, for the shows that I don't watch week to week but which I use repeat season to catch up on. And it's not that they're not good shows. In fact, I enjoy them very much (again, thank you to the Internet gods!). But not every show can be an Arrested Development or a Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Into this category falls a show like Castle, and I'm going to highlight Castle because I really do enjoy it. It's easy television. You can watch an episode and not be (completely) lost. But it's also enjoyable television. It's not Emmy-caliber writing, but the stories also aren't boring and also don't insult your intelligence. The characters entertain me and are quite likeable. And then there is, of course, Nathan Fillion.

The first time I saw Fillion he was playing an oafish ogre of a boyfriend in Blast from the Past. But then Joss Whedon cast him as roguish rebel smuggler and ship captain Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly and I realized how wrong I had been to dismiss him. (Side note: If you've never seen Firefly, watch it! Go now. Go!)

In Castle, Fillion plays crime writer Rick Castle who because of his connections (everyone, even the mayor, is a fan) gets to tail Stana Katic's Detective Kate Beckett for inspiration for his next book. Castle is a bit like Mal Reynolds with the jokes and the always getting into trouble and the being smart and observant and the loyalty to the people he loves. Played by anyone else, Castle might have come off as annoying. But as played by Fillion, he is utterly endearing.

Castle, which had its second season premiere last night, is on ABC on Mondays at 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment