Monday, September 21, 2009

Emmy Review: Pass or fail?

I'm happy to report that this year, the Emmys have received a pass, thanks in large part to NPH, who now more than ever I want to be best friends with.

I'll admit right off, I didn't watch the show in its entirety - I switched back and forth between the Emmys and the Giants-Cowboys game. But really, who can sit through the Emmys (or any awards show for that matter) in their entirety? I caught the important things, I think:

- NPH's opening song and dance number. Boy, does that man have a set of pipes on him. Best line? "Straight from 'Mad Men' there’s Joan/Ah, the curves she has shown/It would make a blind man say 'damn'/She could turn a gay straight/Oh wait, never mind, there’s Jon Hamm!"

- Kristin Chenoweth's surprise win for best supporting actress in a comedy. Boy, is she tiny! Her sincere tears were moving and she still managed to be funny. RIP Pushing Daisies.

- Dr. Horrible "interrupting" part of the broadcast. And Nathan Fillion to boot! If you haven't seen "Dr. Horrible" yet, go to Hulu and watch it. Go now!

- The broadcast actually coming in at just a little over three hours...when will they learn, though, that they could easily bring this show down to 2- 2 1/2 hours? Not saying that miniseries/movies/reality/variety programming awards are any less important than the big ticket items, because they're not, but they're far less interesting and frankly, people don't care. You deserve your Emmy just as much as Tina Fey, Person-who's-name-I-don't-remember, but that doesn't mean I want to watch you get it...

- Mad Men and 30 Rock winning best drama and best comedy. Redundant, yes. Predictable, yes. But sometimes, you don't need or want an upset. Both of these shows are outstanding, quality television and highly support my "tv is art" theory, and while I will blaspheme a bit and say that I personally find How I Met Your Mother 10 times funnier than 30 Rock, both 30 Rock and Mad Men were deserving of these wins and sometimes you just want to see deserving nominees win.

No comments:

Post a Comment