Friday, August 26, 2011

The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones, and... Firefly? (which doesn't have "game" in it's title, but is still applicable)

At the insistence of my best friend, I just finished reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

I wanted to like it, I really did, and there were parts of it I did enjoy, but mostly the book just drove home the fact that for the most part, fantasy and sci-fi are just not my cup of tea. (Some people may argue with me here that The Hunger Games is not in fact sci-fi, but it takes place in the future and features hovercrafts. 'Nuff said.)

That's the reason I couldn't get into HBO's Game of Thrones earlier this summer. I watched the first episode and it was beautifully shot, the actors were all great, and I was kind of excited about the similarities to the medieval War of the Roses, because I love, love, love history. (I may not be a sci-fi geek but I am totally a history nerd.) Anyway, there was so much I did like about it, but first, I can never get on board with the ridiculous names these writers come up with for their characters (I'm looking pointedly at you, Hunger Games, even though right now I'm talking about Game of Thrones). And as soon as they started talking about dragons and these elaborate made-up histories of countries that don't exist in our world, and The Others...well, they lost me after that first episode. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, but I really did love the way everything looked on Game of Thrones. I just wish I had found the content as interesting.

Of course, there is always an exception to the rule. For me, that would probably be vampires. Give me Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, The Vampire Diaries, or True Blood any day and you will not see me again until I have made my way through each and every episode of every one of those series. (Although True Blood is starting to enter the realm of too much fantasy with this fairy world and Sookie-is-part-fairy story line...please keep that to a minimum!)

Which brings us to one of my all time favorite shows, Firefly, which one could argue is as about as sci-fi as you can get. To which I would argue that Firefly, like Star Wars, a seemingly sci-fi movie series I love, only seems to be sci-fi. It's actually a western. Or a space western, as I like to call it. And I just love me a cowboy... :) God, I miss that show!

Anyway, for those of you who DID like Game of Thrones, then you probably already know that it's been renewed for a second season. While you wait for that to come around, though, my best friend of the aforementioned Hunger Games is making her way through the book series on which Game of Thrones is based, A Song of Fire and Ice, and highly recommends it.

And for those of you who miss Firefly as much as I do, I assume you have the DVDs, so go watch it! That's what I plan to do as soon as I go home! :)

Happy weekend everyone! For anyone on the East Coast in the path of Hurricane Irene (like myself), please stay safe!






Game of Thrones T-Shirts & Gear at the HBO Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment