Friday, September 19, 2008

About this blog

I think the title of this blog says it all. Television is an art. There are many who would argue with this thesis, and just to play devil's advocate, I could immediately throw out most reality tv shows, Full House, and Cavemen just to name a few that seem to refute my theory.

But not all art is good. And not everybody agrees on what art being good is, to be fair, mostly subjective. Though I think saying "I Love Money" is not art, just trash (though addictive trash) is a completely objective statement.

Still, there is television that is beautiful. There is television that tells epic stories, television that makes you feel great emotion, and television that you just experience. And how can you say that's not art? Television is becoming more and more sophisticated and complex and meaningful every day. Not all tv. "Moment of Truth" makes me think tv might signal the downfall of the human race. But it is most definitely an avenue of artistic expression and a window into the human experience and the human soul.

Poetic enough for ya?

I wrote my college senior thesis on television as art, citing the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Hush" as an example. That was almost 10 years ago. I think since then tv has only gotten better. For the most part. There's no excuse anybody thought turning the Geico Cavemen commercials into a 30 minute sitcom was anywhere near a good idea.

Anyway, television is not just art for me, but an obsession. And when it comes to tv, I have mastered the art of obsession. Just look at my DVD collection. I think I've surpassed 300 DVDs. And of that number, probably more than half are television shows, not movies. My DVR is recording at least one show every night. I thank God for the advent of Hulu and the networks broadcasting shows on the Internet. Television is not just on the TV set anymore.

Now that I've given that whole speech, here's what this blog is about. It's about talking about good tv. It's about talking about bad tv. It's about talking about both good and bad tv that I can't stop watching. It's about the phenomenal episode of Mad Men that might have just aired. It's about how half the season premiere of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia fell flat on its face and the other half had me cracking up. It's about how I can't stop going back and watching old episodes of Arrested Development even though I know them all verbatim. It's about how if I'm feeling sad and want to cry, I know the exact episode of Angel or Buffy that'll get me going. I'll probably do some reviewing, I'll probably do some ranking, I can probably guarantee there will be at least one list, because after obsessing about television, making lists is what I do best. You probably won't agree with everything I say. Or anything. But something I say might get you thinking or turn you on to something new or turn you back onto something old. Or maybe just knowing I'm out here will comfort you and make you less ashamed in knowing that you're not the only person who thinks that television is so great and obsesses about it so much that if tv were a person, you would be a stalker and it would probably have a restraining order out against you.

Now that's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment