Thursday, May 10, 2012

Television god Joss Whedon rocks the heck out of Marvel's The Avengers

Ok, so it's not a tv show, but it's brought to you courtesy of Joss Whedon, television god and hero. I finally got to see Marvel's The Avengers last night and it was vintage Whedon - dry, deadpan, sarcastic wit; dizzying action sequences and fight scenes and lots of 'em; and of course, a kickass heroine who doesn't take crap from anyone, can hold her own with the boys, and doesn't muss her hair and make-up in the process. If there's one thing Whedon knows, it's how to write a strong female character any young girl would be proud to look up to, and yet still show her to have human emotions. Whedon does not do the damsel in distress, that's for sure.

I knew Whedon had directed the movie but I did not know until the credits that he had a big hand in the screenplay as well, though I could see Whedon all over the writing - anyone who has ever seen Mal and Jayne bicker on Firefly could tell there was something familiar about Captain America and Iron Man's repartee; and the Hulk's definitive interruption of Loki's "I am a god" rant was classic Buffy versus the First Evil showdown in the episode "Amends."

Needless to say, if you haven't seen this movie, go see it, now - it's not often you get to enjoy an awesome action movie that is also well written. And this one is definitely both. There's a reason I wrote my senior thesis on how shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer illustrate and elevate television as art. (And I'm not just saying that so Whedon will hire me one day...but really, Joss, call me - we'll do lunch!) :)

Marvel's The Avengers
Joss Whedon, television god and personal hero

No comments:

Post a Comment