Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Brooklyn Nine Nine is Brooklyn Oh-So-Fine

Tonight, I laughed out loud at a sitcom for the first time in...well, at least months, but possibly even longer than that. I love my comedies - love 'em love 'em love 'em - but if I'm watching reruns of some of my faves, a la Friends or How I Met Your Mother, I think it's funny or even hilarious, but I appreciate the humor silently. And a lot of the sitcoms I currently enjoy the most are shows with a lot of heart, so while I often find myself smiling at the humor, I also find myself wiping away tears, a la Parks and Recreation or Community.

But tonight I watched Brooklyn Nine Nine and laughed out loud. Several times. I cannot say enough good things about this show. It's the only freshman show - sitcom or drama - of the 2013 season that I watch, and usually, I am not a first season kind of gal. A show goes through growing pains, as actors and writers and directors all learn to work together, as these same people also try to figure out who these characters are and where the stories are going. Very rarely have I seen a show find it's footing during the first season - How I Met Your Mother comes to mind. But Brooklyn Nine Nine, while I'm sure not entirely sure of its characters or stories yet, is on solid ground so far this season. There's a reason this show won the Golden Globe for Best Television Comedy and Andy Samberg won one for Lead Actor in a Television Comedy. Samberg and Andre Braugher's dynamic on the show is on par with Parks and Recreation's Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson (two characters who have maybe my most favorite platonic friendship/respect for each other ever) and Terry Crews is pitch perfect as a sensitive and somewhat effeminate yet still effective and badass cop. I shouldn't have been surprised I enjoy this show so much - it was given to us by Michael Schur, the same guy who brought us Parks and Recreation. He seems to have taken what he learned from P & R's terrible first season to help guide the production of Brooklyn Nine Nine, but the similarities are great. All the things I love about Parks - a great ensemble cast, well-written three-dimensional characters who are funny but who we also care about, a funny workplace comedy - are the things I love about Brooklyn. I can't wait to see where they go from here - I love laughing out loud when I'm watching a comedy.

If you haven't caught this show yet, please do - it airs on Fox on Tuesdays. Be there!

1 comment:

  1. i agree! this show is so underrated. one of my favourites so far

    ReplyDelete